Skip to main content

Speak up and make a complaint

You have rights! It's always ok to speak up if you're being hurt or if you're unhappy with the way you're being treated.

If you feel unsafe or at risk and need help urgently, call the Police on 000 or Crisis Care on 1800 199 008.

What is a complaint?

A complaint can be about anything - an organisation's service, the way staff or another child or young person behaves, or the way a problem was handled.

Speak up...

  • If you don't feel safe.
  • If you're being hurt.
  • If you're unhappy with the way you're being treated.

It takes courage to make a complaint. It doesn't have to be a negative experience.

How do I make a complaint?

1. Find support.

Someone you trust, like a parent, friend, carer, teacher or coach can help you make a complaint.

2. Tell your support person.

Why you're not happy, how the problem has made you feel, what would help to fix it.

3. Make your complaint.

Try your best. You can also ask what will happen next, who will get back to you and how long it will take.

Adults should always listen, answer your questions and treat you with respect.

These resources explain how you can tell someone about your problem and what might happen.

The how to make a complaint leaflet is available in Arabic, Chinese, Filipino, Hindi, Greek, Italian, Punjabi, Spanish and Vietnamese on the National Office for Child Safety website.  

Read what children and young people told the Commissioner about making complaints and how they helped to make these resources about speaking up:

Speaking Out About Making Complaints

pdf 218Kb Download pdf

Where can I make a complaint?

Making a complaint about a service or organisation

Check the website of the organisation

Most organisations have complaint forms on their websites to help you make a complaint. To find a form on a website look for the words feedback, comments or contact us.

The Ombudsman Western Australia

The Ombudsman provides advice and information to help people make complaints to WA Government organisations and to understand what happens after a complaint is made. Contact the Ombudsman.

Other help

Kids Helpline - 1800 55 1800 or

headspace and eheadspace -

We can also give you advice about who can help you. We cannot get involved in individual complaints about other organisations but we will try our best to find someone who can help you, please phone us on (08) 6213 2297 or email the Commissioner.

We make sure we keep the information you share with us private, unless we think you or another child or young person is unsafe – we will tell you when we need to share the information with other organisations that can help protect you.

Making a complaint about the Commissioner for Children and Young People or her team

The Commissioner and her staff are happy to listen to whatever you want to say to us. If your complaint is about us, please phone us on (08) 6213 2297 or email the Commissioner.

When you make a complaint about us, we will let you know how we will listen to your complaint and respond.